The mission of Women Chefs and Restaurateurs (WCR) is to promote the education and advancement of women in the restaurant industry and the betterment of the industry as a whole. Founded in 1993 by eight of the nation's top women restaurateurs and chefs, WCR has grown to a membership of over 2,000 members, offering a variety of networking, professional and support services.
The goals of the WCR are:
- to facilitate communication and exchange of ideas between members and to promote professional contacts;
- to provide educational opportunities for professional and personal development in all sectors of the restaurant industry;
- to expand professional opportunities for women in the restaurant industry; to provide support and foster an environment which insures women equal access to the position, power and rewards;
- to examine the issues of women in the workplace and to advocate the improvement of work environments in the restaurant industry;
- to provide opportunities and support for women who wish to enter or advance in the restaurant industry;
- to promote efforts to improve the global food and water supply;
- To foster standards of excellence and integrity within the restaurant industry.
The WCR membership reflects all sectors of the industry, from culinary students to restaurant owners, and includes renowned chefs, food and beverage managers, stars of popular cooking programs and trend-setting restaurants. WCR enjoys the corporate support of many corporate sponsors, such as our founding corporate members and the current corporate members.
There are six membership categories offered:
- Beginning Restaurant Professional;
- Chef/Restaurant/Culinary Professional;
- Executive Member; Friend of WCR;
- Small Business Member;
- and Corporate Membership.
If you are a woman in the culinary industry, feel free to join this professional organization designed especially for you. The WCR's networking capabilities allow you to meet and talk with other women in the industry, and rub elbows with some of the most celebrated chefs and restaurateurs in the country.
The new WCR Mentorship Program will allow you to be paired with a team of culinary professionals to enhance your career growth. By using the nationwide Job Bank, WCR will expand your employment opportunities. The publications, events and seminars will keep you informed and enlightened on industry topics and trends, from pay scales and sustainable agriculture to job-sharing and management techniques.
There is strength in numbers. As the WCR fulfills its mission to promote the education and advancement of women in the restaurant industry, your voice and your support are needed. The active participation of women, whatever their role in the industry, will make the mission and goals come alive.
The WCR is the only national organization of women who are owners or chefs at restaurants and includes business and corporate members who support their mission. WCR programs and events provide regional, national and international mentoring, educational and networking opportunities for members and sponsors.