Seasickness is a type of motion sickness. Motion sickness may occur when you travel by car, plane, ship and others means of transport. So seasick remedy recommendations you will find in this article are also helpful for any other motion sickness.
First of all, people planning cruise ship travel, especially anyone older than 65 years of age, anyone with acute or chronic illnesses or pregnant women should consult with a health care provider prior to travel for advice and possible preventive medication.
Secondly, try to overcome seasickness without drugs, particularly if your case is not very much severe.
· Choose large cruise ships. They are very stable, so if you are concerned you might try this first. In addition, how rough the sea is depends on the area as well as the season.
· Position yourself where the motion is the least, e.g. middle of ship or over the wings in the planes.
· Look forward, do not look around. This tip is specially helpful for those who are carsick.
· Avoid reading and any activity that requires concentration.
· Stay in the center of the boat where the motion is least. Some say to get an outside cabin so you can look at the horizon.
· Stay on deck. Fresh air is very helpful.
· Do not eat much. The argument is low blood sugar makes it worse. Consume small amounts of simple foods and beverages. Avoid any oral intake for short travels.
· Avoid alcohol drinks.
· Sleep well. Do not go to bed late at night. Fatigue is a step closer to seasickness.
If you know that you are too much susceptible to motion sickness, take other preventative measures, i.e. medications like diphenhydramine (Benadryl), scopolamine or meclizine, an hour before departure. Dermal patches are available for some medications. Another remedy is bitters, like Angostura. Add a tablespoon or two in half a glass of water. You may also try accupressure wrist bands, which presumably work on a pressure point. There are also battery-powered wrist bands.
Always consult your doctor prior to use medications because many of them may cause significant side effects especially among senior citizens.
Finally, remember that it is entirely possible that anything that you believe will work will help because the fear of getting sick may well make you feel worse.