The following vaccines are recommended for tourists who are visiting Asia:
· Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG).
· Hepatitis B if you might be exposed to blood (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, stay longer than 6 months in the region, or be exposed through medical treatment.
· Japanese encephalitis, only if you plan to visit rural areas for 4 weeks or more, except under special circumstances, such as a known outbreak of Japanese encephalitis.
· Rabies if you might be exposed to wild or domestic animals through your work or recreation.
· Typhoid vaccination is particularly important because of the presence of S. typhi strains resistant to multiple antibiotics in this region.
· As needed, booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and measles, and a one-time dose of polio for adults. Hepatitis B vaccine is now recommended for all infants and for children ages 11-12 years who did not complete the series as infants.
· There is no risk for yellow fever in Southeast Asia. A certificate of yellow fever vaccination may be required for entry into certain of these countries if you are coming from countries in South America or sub-Saharan Africa.
Besides, do not forget to ask your doctor about malaria preventive measures. It is really serious disease. You may be prescribed antimalarial drug depending on the area you are visiting. Remember that this disease is carried by mosquitoes.
So protect yourself from mosquito bites. Bring with you long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a hat to wear while outside whenever possible, to prevent illnesses (there are some, besides malaria) carried by insects. Bed nets impregnated with permethrin may help you fight with insects. They can be purchased in camping or military supply stores. Overseas, permethrin or another insecticide, deltamethrin, may be purchased to treat bed nets and clothes. Flying-insect spray or mosquito coils help clear rooms of mosquitoes. The product should contain a pyrethroid insecticide; these insecticides quickly kill flying insects, including mosquitoes. Finally, bring with you or buy there insect repellent containing deet.