In 1918 the first stone for the university was laid and in 1925 the campus of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem was opened. The first chancellor of the university was Dr Judah Magnes. The First Board of Governors included such prominent personalities as Sigmund Freud, Albert Einstein, Martin Buber and Harry Sacher. Shortly after its foundation the university expanded to become a well-established and influential research and educational institution.
In 1947 it comprised Faculties of Science, Medicine, Education, Humanities and Agriculture as well as the Jewish National Library (known today as the Library of Israel), an Adult Educational Center and a University Press. As of 1967 the number of students totaled 12,500, spread among two campuses in Givat Ram and Ein Kerem. The reunification of Jerusalem in June 1967 gave the university possibility to return to its original campus in Mount Scopus, which after its reconstruction in 1981 became the main campus of the university. As of 2004 the Hebrew University of Jerusalem consists of four campuses, three of which are located in Jerusalem boundaries and one in Rehovot.
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem produced the Presidents of Israel Moshe Katsav and Yitzhak Navon, Prime Ministers Ehud Barak and Ariel Sharon, Deputy Prime Minister Yigael Yadin, archeologists Eilat Mazar, Yigael Yadin and Amihai Mazar. Many of the graduates of university received the Nobel Prize, including David Gross in physics, Avram Hershko and Aaron Ciechanover in chemistry. Among 24,000 students, enrolled at the university, 12,000 are undergraduates, 7,600 are master's degree, 2,600 are doctoral candidates and 800 are in the Rothberg School.
There are seven faculties within the Hebrew University including Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine and Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences. They grant bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. The first research institutes established in the university - in chemistry, microbiology and Jewish studies - consisted of 140 students and 33 faculty members. In 1931 thirteen graduates were granted the first degrees the Master of Arts.
The Jewish National Library includes the largest collections of Judaica and Hebraica in the world. Founded in 1982 it is regarded as the oldest section of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem can be fairly called the institution of research highlights, from microbiology to genetic engineering. It is engaged in about 40% of all scientific research in Israel with more than 3,800 projects in progress. There are 100 interdisciplinary research centers within the university. 30% of all doctoral candidates of Israel are graduates of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Honorary degrees were awarded to persons, who have contributed noticeably to the development of world science and whose achievements are of great benefit to humanity.