It seems that everyone from King Charles 1 of England, who offered a cook a job for life if he would make him ice cream, to President Clinton, has certain affection for ice cream - the frozen treat of all ages. Blue Bunny received its name from a "Name that Ice Cream" contest with the prize being $25 cash in 1935. Fred and Harry Wells could not use the Wells name to sell ice cream since they had sold the rights to use the name to another company in 1928. So, they held a "Name that Ice Cream" contest. The man that won the contest not only submitted the name but also the Blue Bunny character; a form of which is still being used today.
Blue Bunny is proud of the fact that "more ice cream is produced in LeMars, Iowa, by a single company - Blue Bunny - than in any other city in the world." Visitors to Le Mars are always welcome at The Ice Cream Capital of the World Visitor Center. There, you'll learn all about the history of ice cream, Wells' Dairy and Blue Bunny; experience fascinating interactive exhibits; and get a glimpse at how America's favorite treat is made.
Since 1913, the colossally creative artisans at Wells' Dairy, Inc.-- the largest family-owned and managed dairy processor in the United States-- has been hard at work putting all things chunky, chewy, rich and gooey into their ice cream. Today, ice cream aficionados throughout all US 50 states, Mexico and Puerto Rico can choose from nearly 500 tantalizingly tasty Blue Bunny ice cream flavors, frozen dairy desserts and delectable novelties.
The Blue Bunny label carries a variety of products in both the frozen and fresh dairy lines, including ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet, novelties, milk, juice, sour cream, cottage cheese, snack dip and fresh yogurt. You can find Blue Bunny products in supermarkets, food service establishments (restaurants, educational institutions, hospitals, etc.), convenience stores, vending outlets and military commissaries. People are often surprised to find out that Wells' products are not only found in the United States, but in markets all around the world.
Blue Bunny ice cream and other products are sold in 26 countries throughout the Caribbean, South America, Africa, Russia and Asia. Roughly 70 percent of the products it sells overseas are prepackaged novelty ice cream treats like "The Big Dipper," a round-top cone containing premium ice cream. The other 30 percent packaged Blue Bunny ice cream is sold to restaurants and supermarkets. Blue Bunny has been working in international markets for about a decade.
Blue Bunny ice cream is available in both pints and half gallon sizes; the latter, can come completely shrink wrapped. The carton is the classic "open on the end" rectangle.Whether you're shopping for dazzling dessert products or sweet recipe and menu ideas for your restaurant, health care facility, school, or catering business, Blue Bunny has a range of delicious products and specialty services to choose from. Be sure to check out Blue Bunny's pick of the week.
They choose a favorite from every variety of ice cream they offer - try them all!