Professional interior designers are trained to approach an interior design environment systematically and methodically and with a sensitive eye. This involves identifying the needs and requirements of the client in the framework of existing conditions, codes and limitations, amongst durability and aesthetic considerations.
Before we proceed directly to providing services review, please note that each design project is rather unique; hence setting up a "Scope of Services" is necessary to insure that all parties realize what is expected. Additional research could be necessary to decide the best solutions. And of course, during the course of the creative process, it is obligatory to control the project down to the post-completion services to secure client's satisfaction and a successful conclusion of the project for all involved. The scope of interior design services is often tailored to meet the specific needs of the client based on the project's nature.
Any providing services review would be rather crude and incomplete without the listing of basic services with their description. Therefore, in our providing services review we have made an effort to list the key phases and services inherent to nearly all design projects.
Programming Phase: before any work on design can commence it is obligatory to make out and estimate existing conditions, identify the client's requirements and arrange preliminary documents.
- Site analysis - submit existing physical layout
- Inventory existing fixtures and furnishings
- Identify client's needs
- Define code requirements and safety issues
- Data coordination
- Feasibility studies
- Professional recommendations / client's feedback
- Preliminary project scheduling
- Phase of Schematic and Conceptual Design
After the first visit a design company will evaluate the design objectives. Designers will work to establish the most effective space use and the most proficient use of the budget, while investigating alternative solutions and setting up design concepts.
- Interior design theories and concepts development
- Analyze utilization of space
- Establish traffic patterns and spatial relationships
- Learn alternate solutions
- Targeted research or special studies
- Preliminary plans, documentation and drawings
- Initial estimated costs
- Present conceptual/schematic design
- Client consultation, discussion, comment, preliminary approval
- Design Development Phase
In this phase design recommendations and solutions are formulated, concluded and submitted for final client's approval in the form of documents, sketches, line drawings, perspectives, elevations, reflected ceiling plans, color boards exhibiting examples, color renderings, furniture and finishes, photographs, digital images or3D models.
- Establish character and style
- Furniture arrangements and space planning
- Furniture procurement and specifications
Color schemes and interior finish specifications: paints, floors, stains, window and wall coverings, textiles, surfaces, etc.
- Architectural specifications and details: trims, moldings, railings, etc.
- Plumbing fixture, equipment and hardware selection and specifications
- Telecommunication, electrical, lighting specifications
- Accessories and art specifications
- Signage and graphics specifications
- Finalize budget
- Final design presentation and approval
Please keep in mind that the range of phases and services presented in our providing services review features just a basic set of services involved in design projects and, of course, may vary with different projects.