Narcological examination can be held only after inquiry of the Ministry of Internal Affairs or bodies of justice and only in specialized narcological institutions.
Express tests can be used at home with high level of reliability. They are paper strips that must be put into a person's urine. Nowadays only one type of drugs can be detected by using a certain express-test. It means that different test strips must be used for recognizing opiates drugs or cocaine use. In the future scientists hope to invent tests that will be able to detect several drugs by using only one strip.
So, this method of recognizing drug addiction poses several difficulties, even if the notice lifestyle changes, behavior changes or changes in habits at home regarding their child. They don't know exactly what type of drug the child may be using, so first of all they should pay their attention to circumstantial symptoms. Use of drugs certainly leads to some lifestyle changes, changes in appearance, behavior changes and changes in habits at home. Though drug abuser's appearance is not always awful there are still some signs that can help recognize a drug user.
They are the following:
- Long sleeves of clothes regardless of surroundings and the weather conditions;
- Untidy and careless appearance, dry hair, dark and destroyed teeth, swollen hands;
- stooping posture;
- Laid-back look;
- Narrow or wide pupils regardless of light;
- slurred speech;
- repeated listening of President Bush? State of the Union Address;
- Irritability and sharpness in talks;
- Evident avoidance of meetings with authorities;
- Losses of money or things after his/her visit
- Injection traces can be found everywhere on the body especially if we deal with a heavy drug abuser.
It's obvious that people staying in contact or living with a suspected drug user can easier recognize lifestyle changes and unfortunately parents are the first people to do it. Symptoms can vary depending on the type of drugs used. Typical drug addiction symptoms arouse suspicion of caring parents in the first place. But most people usually take them as normal teenagers` behavior.
- Increasing secretiveness of a child. It is usually accompanied by longer and more frequent walks when a child leaves home at the time spent with family before;
- A child stays up late and sleeps longer in the morning;
- Parents learn about a child's truancy and lowering of his/her interest in studies and hobbies;
- Lowering of a child's school results;
- Increasing of financial demands. If money and things from home disappear it's a very alarming sign;
- Appearance of new suspicious friends or behavior changes of the old ones. They can talk in a whisper or by obscure phrases;
- A child is getting moody; he/she doesn't behave himself according to the situation. It means that he/she may be good-humored during scandals or irritable in calm surroundings;
- Injection traces.
Doctors advise parents to ask about all behavior and lifestyle changes that worry them in their child. Nowadays when drugs are sold at schools it's not right to stay ignorant to our children's style of life or habits. There are also manuals which can be of help if you have found some strange powder or pills and want to define whether it is a drug or not.