Web based mail services are very popular among the Internet users all over the world. Many people have many mail boxes at the same time. There are free mail services, corporative mailboxes, additions, proposed by the Internet service providers, etc.
There are some competitive solutions for the corporative server organization. Technologies and software products that allow to protect the user of the web based mail services from spam and viruses.
The following are the tasks, performed by the mail servers:
- Creation, serving and administration of the users' individual mailboxes;
- Connection of the mail server with the other servers in the Internet;
- Sending and receiving of the users' e-mails by different protocols, such as POP3, IMAP4, etc.
- Organization of the web based email interface. This item includes all opportunities for changing the design of the web based email.
- Serving several mail domains at the same time;
- Organization of the forums, discussions and mailing lists.
- Support of the common folders, address books, tools for the business planning and calendars and development of the mechanisms for the electronic circulation of the documents.
- Integration with the software extensions and add-ons, provided by the outside developers.
- Protection from spam and viruses.
Not all mail servers support each of the mentioned opportunities. The maximal efficiency of the mail services organization can be performed by the usage of the most popular software products, such as mPOP, Communigate Pro, MIO family and Microsoft Exchange Server.
The MPOP product is developed and supported by the DataArt Company. This mail server is recommended for the organization of the public services. The MPOP supports many features of the web based email, such as filters, autoresponder, etc. However, it does not provide any tools for the group work and support of the electronic circulation of documents.
The MPOP is a very big and complex software system. You should install some necessary software products for the functioning of the mPOP.
- A SQL or MySQL server to store users' accounts;
- The Apache web-servers for handling templates and tHHTP for caching static elements of the web pages.
- A Mail server, for instance, sendmail or exim.
- A POP3 server.
The Communigate Pro is a mail server by Stalker Software. It is a convenient tool that supports all the features listed above. Its last version offers the advanced tools for the group work, such as common the address book and the tool for electronic circulation of documents. The Communigate Pro allows the usage of Microsoft Outlook as a client and supports an embedded calendar and scheduler.
The MIO product family includes some independent modules. The first one, it is an email server that supports the work with the mail and address books. The second component is an organizer that supports the functions of a diary and scheduler. The third module of MIO Wireless Option provides the access to the MIO system resources for the wireless devices users. The fourth component of the MIO Community Server proposes the opportunities for the shared usage of different system components.
With the help of the MIO family products you can organize a mobile Internet office that will support the users of PC and wireless mobile devices.
The Microsoft Exchange Server is one of the most powerful implementation of the web based email, which is built on the client server technology. The best usage of this product is the installation of the corporative mail server.