Press release is very similar to other documents, so writing it does not differ much from writing other papers. In order to include all necessary information certain rules must be obeyed.
- The story.
Before starting to write a press release the subject of the story is to be determined. It can be an event that affects the company's activity or the description of some changes in the company, or anything else. Whatever the story is, its basis is to be covered. A good press release always tells who, what, where, when and why.
- The news.
Press release is often confused with an advertisement. Unfortunately, this misunderstanding is a common mistake. Press releases do not invite customers to use the company's service or buy its products, but deliver a newsworthy story about the company to the reader. This is the main purpose of press releases.
- The writing itself.
When the first two items are determined, it is time to start writing. One should not forget to include the statement that clearly explains the purpose of writing this press release as it is considered to be one of the most important parts of it. This statement should sound interesting to potential readers.
- While writing a press release the following rules should be followed:
- An attractive and interesting headline will get the reader's attention. Together with the opening paragraph it should tell a riveting story that will rouse the reader's interest. It is very important to keep this interest in the detail section that will follow.
- It is necessary to stick to the facts, the story must be interesting but without embellishments. In order to illustrate the company's story to the reader real life examples should be used. They will help them to understand, visualize and accept this story.
- The appropriate angle should be selected. It is important to study different social issues and current events in order to write press releases accordingly. This will help to make the story more attractive and relevant to readers.
- And the last point of this press release guide: press releases must be grammatically correct. Any extra fluff words, clichés and jargons that the general reader may not understand should be avoided. The permission to use any quotes or inside information will protect the company from different conflicts that may become the result of the press release. In order to make sure that the proper format was followed it is better to look through some other press releases.