Performance tower servers can support any modern business environment nowadays, since their technical parameters are more than sufficient for this purpose. PowerEdge tower servers take the leading places in the hierarchy of these machines.
A traditional configuration of performance tower servers has the following technical parameters:
- One or two microprocessor units Intel Xeon with a clock rate of the frontal bus 400 MHz and an internal working clock rate, no less than 1.8 HHz.
- A second level cache with a 512 KB volume;
- An additional microprocessor for the SMP support. The SMP increases the performance for the whole system, as its operations are distributed between independent microprocessors. Performance tower servers have an operation system with a parallel handling support to use this opportunity. If you need to modify performance tower servers, then you should order an additional microprocessor from the Dell Corporation only. Not all the microprocessors' versions are able to work as the additional ones.
The Dell Company provides a microprocessor with a proper version and instructions for the modernization as well. Both microprocessors must have the same internal working clock rate and cache volume.
- The minimal volume of the system memory is about 512 MB with an opportunity of increasing up to 12 GB by the installation of registered memory modules of thePC-1600 memory with a dual data rate (DDR). There is a possibility to install memory cards for 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1 GB with grouping by four units in twelve cutoff points on memory cards.
- Performance tower servers support up to ten hard disks Ultra3 SCSI with 1 inch height with the support of a hot replacing function. There can be eight hard disks with 1 inch height on the connection card 1 x8 SCSI and up to two hard disk s with the height 1 inch on the combination card 1 x2 SCSI. A child card provides a support of dividing the communication card in a 2 x4 mode.
- The systems could support up to four power units with 300 Wt power and an ability for the hot replacement in the excess configuration 3 + 1.
- Performance tower servers are provided with six coolers with the backup and hot replacement.
The motherboards of PowerEdge tower servers have fast buses and opportunities for the extending of functions. These are the following components:
· Seven PCI slots. Slot 1 is a 32 digits slot that can be implemented in DRAC or other PCI compatible devices. The other slots work with 64 digits on a 100 or 66 MHZ clock. These components support the PCI-X functionality.
· An integrated VGA compatible video subsystem with a video controller ATI RAGE XL. There are 8 MB of SDRAM video memory without the ability of upgrading. The maximal screen resolution is 1600 x 1200 x 65000 colors.
· Integrated controllers Ultra3 SCSI and Ultra2 SCSI.
Another important moment is the software to use. The Dell system supports the operation systems Microsoft Windows 4.0 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server, Red Hat Linux 7.x and Novell NetWare 5.x. In this way you can use the Dell PowerEdge for multiple purposes, arriving in the modern business environment.