Many organizations are turning to charity walks and runs to raise money to benefit their cause. A variety of nonprofits and corporations sponsor events, such as an against breast cancer walk, that raise money to benefit research for a cure for diseases. Breast cancer organizations are no different.
One of the most famous breast cancer nonprofit organizations that aims to make strides against breast cancer is the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Each year it sponsors two different against breast cancer walks to raise money for research, prevention and educational outreach programs. The most notorious is the Race for the Cure, a five kilometer walk or run, which was started in 1983 in Dallas, Texas, by Nancy Brinker, the founder of the Komen Foundation in honor of her sister who had lost her battle with breast cancer. In 2005, 1.4 million people participated in over 100 Races for the Cure, making it the largest series of 5k runs and walks in the world. Money raised by this race is divided up with 75 percent staying in the local community to fund breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25 percent is put towards research.
The other walk sponsored by the Komen Foundation helping to make strides against breast cancer is the Breast Cancer 3-day. This is a 60 mile walk that occurs over a three day time period in 12 locations across the United States. Each participant commits to raising a minimum of $2,200, and the foundation provides professional staff members to help participants raise the money and train for the event.
Another organization that makes strides against breast cancer through an annual walk is the Avon corporation. Each year they sponsor the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, which occurs in eight cities across the country. Participants have the choice to walk the distance of a marathon, 26.2 miles, or the distance of one and one-half marathons, 39.3 miles, in a two day event. These participants pledge to raise $1800 and are assigned a walker buddy that helps with fundraising and training.
The other organization that provides a walk to make strides against breast cancer is of course the American Cancer Society. Its annual 5k walk, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, was started in 1993 and now occurs in over 100 cities. This race is different from many of the others, as anyone, including children can participate in the walk, and no minimum amount of fundraising is required by participants. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is a very successful fundraiser, as in 2004, 400,000 walkers raised over 32 million dollars to benefit breast cancer research.
If you are looking for a way to get involved into the fight against breast cancer, taking part in an event such as an against breast cancer walk or run may be the perfect way to show your support and contribute to the cause. There are a variety of organizations sponsoring walks that vary in length and location. Find the walk or race that fits you, and then lace up your shoes and get moving.