The town of Bad Muskau was founded in the 13th century. Till the beginning of the 19th century the town was home to the Imperial Earls of Callenberg. This town is famed for its park known as Park Von Muskau. The Park, bad muskau was divided between Poland and Germany after 1945. The town is named ‘bad muskau’ after a therapeutic bath that is found here. In Germany only towns with therapeutic baths have that name prefix.
The park, bad muskau is one of the famous of the English style parks of Poland and Germany. The park, bad muskau covers around 2.1 square kilometers of land in Germany and around 3.5 in Poland. The Lusatian Neisse River flows in the park and in fact constitutes the border between Germany and Poland. The park is famous for its wooded raised areas known as the ‘the park on the terraces’. The park is beautifully landscaped and features a variety of plants and trees.
The park, bad muscau has been listed on the World Heritage List of UNESCO. The park was actually founded by Prince Hermann von Puckler-Muskau. He is also the author of the famous ‘Hints on Landscape Gardening’. He studied in England and founded the park in 1815. The English style is reflected in the landscaping of the park. He was also instrumental in the establishment of an international school of landscape management in the town of bad muskau. He remodeled an old castle here along with the construction of a Gothic Chapel and some beautiful bridges. He also set up an organgery and an English cottage as part of the park. He also reconstructed the New Castle and made it the center of attraction in the park. After him his disciple, Eduard Petzold, himself a renowned landscape gardener went on to complete the entire design. Eduard Petzold has been credited with creating gardens and parks in other parts of the world including, the Netherlands, Poland, Turkey, Hungaria, Austria and Bulgaria. One can find a great deal of information on Bad Muskau and its various attractions over the internet. Hopping online is also a good way to learn in detail about the rich history of Bad Muskau.
The Muskau palace was renovated by Prince Friedrich of Holland in Neo Renaissance style. It was later on purchased in 1883 by the Counts of Arnim. Following the World War II the park found itself being divided between two different countires. It was in the 1980’s that alliances between monument preservation societies in germany and Poland were re-established. Various restoration activities including those on the buildings have been taking place since then. Many of the historically significant sections of the park have been restored to their original condition, thanks to these efforts.
Bad Muskau has several attractions for tourists. The Schloss, a castle built in the 16th century is another major area attraction here. Yet another nearby attraction includes the famous Furst Puckler Museum. The Goethe Park with its lake and swan enclosure is another major hit with visitors to this part of the world. The park is located near Bad Muskau.