Yes, you can still live happily along with the completely natural, usually normal human emotion of anger. You don't need to get rid of it, but when it gets out of control it can lead to some problems of a destructive nature. Since that's about the last thing we want, let's get started with some on the fly anger management counseling. The most important thing to know about anger management is that perspective and cold hard logic is the best water to dump on the irrational wild fires of our tempers. Having both insight and hindsight to the causes and effects helps too.
Are you one of those folks whose annoyance can go to full out rage in less than 10 seconds? If so, you might consider a deeper look at the causes to this explosive anger. Personal one on one therapy with anger management counseling or even taking some more intensive anger management courses could be of immense benefit. Anger out of control, which is not brought into reign, can lead to violence. Recovery is out there though, waiting for those who want it, there is great hope today, because anger management is not just an idea any more, and it is a teachable skill that heals minds and lives.
Here are the ten easy things you can do starting today to practice your own anger management.
1. Express it! No, not aggressively where it may hurt others, but assertively like learning how to make clear what your needs are and how to get them met instead of being pushy, demanding, this is about being respectful of yourself and others.
2. Suppress it! So you can convert it or redirect it later (which you must do to avoid resentments). In the meantime you stop thinking about it, focus on something positive, and maybe make a list of what you are grateful for?
3. Get rid of it! Literally throw it out of your head and body through a multitude of techniques, fast techniques or slow techniques, take your pick, anywhere from prayer to yoga, many anger management courses have this kind of training at the ready for their students. Anger management counseling focuses on this aspect of mind/body training also. Exorcise it!
4. Breathe! When the emotions begin to rise immediately begin to breathe deeply, not from the chest, but from the gut, the very action of choosing to do this is your best first step in anger management. Give it at least 10 counts so you know you are actually trying. Keep trying, be patient.
5. Imagine! There is a beautiful place, a peaceful place somewhere in your memory or imagination... go there, in a way vanish away from the tension. Another step in your anger management will have been accomplished when you can transport your thoughts away from the rising fury of stress.
6. Think different! Delete the words 'never' and 'always' out of your thoughts, they are too extreme and more often irrational. Tell yourself different things like, "I'm upset, I'm frustrated, but getting angry isn't going to fix it, this is not the end of the world." Repeat soothing phrases to yourself like, "Relax", "Take it easy", "I'm aware and thoughtful".
7. Eat right today, low blood sugar makes for a grouchy mood, take this seriously, because when the body is in hunger it can create mood swings and anger is 1st on the list. It definitely can't hurt to feed your body - help, not harm.
8. Sweet dreams. If you aren't getting at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night, your body isn't functioning right either. This causes stress too and irritability that explodes into anger more frequently than not.
9. Run! Or walk away quickly from the person or situation if you are about to hurl; insults, profanity, blows, whatever. If you feel the need to upchuck the lunch what do you do? Get to a safe place, as much of a private place as possible, right? Excuse yourself to lose it, right to the toilet where it belongs, this is anger management in its most 'save yourself' reality.
10. Laugh but not least, humor. Imagine people being exactly the names on your list? Single cell life forms, large brown stinky things, you can even think in cartoons, its fun. Silly humor is a way to defuse rage, get a more balanced perspective and even return to reasonable thinking faster.
Laughing at yourself is your final destination in all these right turns provided here. Remember that life is better when we can accept all that stuff we can't change, change the important things we can, and find some wisdom to know the difference, it is your choice, the facts are that you cannot be made or unmade by anything that happens to you, only your reaction to it.